Gallagher Higher Education Think Tank Study: Collaborative Risk Management
This Gallagher Higher Education Think Tank study examines the concept of using functional network structures and collaborative teams, formed to manage enterprise-wide risks.
This review grew from observations that a significant number of higher education institutions are struggling with the implementation of enterprise risk management (ERM) efforts. Some indeed are successful, but far more seem to start the classic ERM process and get stuck.
There can be a tremendous difference between institutions that have risk managers and institutions that manage risks. One end of the spectrum is represented by the often-overworked individual with an overstuffed portfolio. At the other end (even in schools with advanced ERM systems), there will be collaborative risk management institutions with multiple integrative teams. It’s a culture that rewards risk ownership and builds risk assessment into every initiative.
View our complete study below.
Gallagher Think Tank study participants included:
- Jeannine Bailes, Director Insurance & Risk Finance, ARM―University of Alabama - Birmingham
- Beth Carmichael, Director of Compliance & Risk Management―Five Colleges
- Troy Harris, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Resilience―Westmont College
- Mark Kebert, Risk Manager―Purdue University
- Gary Langsdale, University Risk Officer―Pennsylvania State University
- David Pajak, MBA, DRM, ARM; Director, Risk Management & Chief Emergency Management Officer―Syracuse University
- Nancy Pringle, Vice President & General Counsel―Ithaca College
- Ruth Unks, Director of Enterprise Risk Management―Maricopa County Community College District
- Meredith Whitten, JD, Senior Associate General Counsel―Tulane University
- Joe Yohe, Associate Vice President, Risk Management―Georgetown University
Speakers and topic experts also included:
- Janice Abraham, President & CEO, United Educators, a Reciprocal Risk Retention Group
- Jim Bucknam, President & CEO, Freeh Group International Solutions, LLC
- Omar McNeill, Partner, Freeh Group International Solutions, LLC
- Mary Meshreky, Practice Manager, The Education Advisory Board
- Patrick Tiedemann, Senior Analyst, The Education Advisory Board
Additional contributors from Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. include:
- Dorothy M. Gjerdrum, Executive Director, Public Entity & Scholastic Division
- Glenn Hanna, Chief Commercial Officer, Arthur J. Gallagher, Australia
- Vincent Morris, Executive Director, Higher Education Practice
- John E. Watson, Executive Director, Higher Education Practice