We recognize that it can be difficult for you to secure Workers Compensation coverage. That's why Gallagher Transportation Services; Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc. offers the CPP to all eligible Landstar contractors. Gallagher has designed the CPP coverage to assist you and your family in the event you are injured as a result of an occupational accident. The program also extends some coverage for non-occupational injuries. Please take a moment to read the Gallagher CPP summary below.
While CPP is NOT statutory Workers Compensation, it does afford you a number of benefits that are similar to those available to you through statutory Workers Compensation coverage. Should you or your survivors elect to apply for any payments through statutory Workers' Compensation, the CPP benefits are forfeited and automatically assigned to the payor of Workers Compensation payments.
New Landstar BCOs are able to select coverage under the CPP with either a $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 Combined Single Limit (CSL). Benefits are described in more detail in the Evidence of Insurance, which is available either online or from the Gallagher Insurance Coordinator. Here's a summary of CPP benefits:
The total aggregate benefit payable for Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Total Disability and Medical Expenses will be either $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 depending on the option selected.
Order of payment is:
- accident-related Medical Expenses
- Disability Income, and
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment.
Benefit payments made under one coverage may reduce benefits payable under any other coverage, so that the total paid will not exceed the total aggregate benefit under the option you select.
If Accidental Death occurs within 90 days of a covered occupational accident and before the insured reaches 75, CPP will pay a flat sum of $75,000 ($15,000 for a non-occupational accident) to your beneficiary. In addition, your spouse or other eligible surviving dependents may receive $2,500 a month in survivor's benefits, up to a maximum survivor's benefit of $225,000. An additional $10,000 death benefit will be paid to your beneficiaries if your Accidental Death occurs while you are wearing your seat belt (applies to covered occupational accidents only).
In the event of a covered occupational accident resulting in dismemberment or paralysis, you will be entitled to an amount of up to $100,000 ($15,000 for a non-occupational accident), payable at $1,000 a month.
If you are Totally Disabled within 180 days of a covered occupational accident, you will be entitled to Temporary Total Weekly Disability Income equal to 75 % of your weekly earnings, up to $500 a week. (Temporary total disability is defined in the first 24 months as being unable to continue your current occupation; beyond that time, it is defined as disability from any occupation. The maximum disability benefit is $300,000.) Up to $600 Temporary Total Disability Income benefit based on 75% of your weekly earnings is available as an optional Coverage for those in the $2,000,000 plan.
You will be covered for eligible Medical Expenses, including doctor's fees, prescription drugs, ambulance, chiropractic care (up to $1,000 per accident) and hospital costs. All benefits are limited to usual and customary charges. First medical expenses must be incurred within 90 days of the accident. This coverage is excess over other accident and/or health insurance plans.
Pre-existing conditions as defined by the policy are covered up to a maximum of $25,000 for injuries resulting from covered occupational accidents.
Non-occupational accidents are covered up to a maximum of $15,000 per accident.
Authorized passengers (who must have completed a "Passenger Authorization" form, are at least 18 and do not drive, load or unload) are provided up to $50,000 in total coverage for accidental death, dismemberment and medical expenses (up to $25,000), if they are involved in a covered occupational accident involving a Landstar Business Capacity Owner covered by CPP.
CPP coverage is provided by the Zurich American Insurance Company in the United States and by American Home Assurance Company in Canada.
To view or print a Sample U.S. Description of Coverage, click the appropriate schedule below:
Limitations and Exclusions
A few of the limitations and exclusions of the CPP are:
- Medical treatment must be initiated within 90 days of the date of injury;
- Suicide, intentionally self-inflicted injuries are not covered;
- Sickness or disease is not covered;
- Intoxication or being under the influence at the time of the accident renders claim not covered;
- Medical Provider charges in excess of usual, customary and reasonable are not covered;
- The Insured person must be over age 23 and under age 75 to enroll in the plan.
Please check the cost in the table below, depending on the level of coverage you desire. Your cost for this insurance coverage through this program will be deducted from your settlement check; if your settlement isn't sufficient, you must send a check or money order to:
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
Attn: Transportation Department
2345 Grand Blvd., Suite 400
Kansas City, MO 64108-2671
Contractor Protection Plan
(Fifthwheel vehicles, straight trucks, panel vans, and Express America private passenger vehicles)
*Co-drivers may be eligible for reduced rates. Please contact your AJG Insurance Coordinator for more information.
CPP applications are available Online or from your Gallagher Insurance Coordinator.
- CPP Application (PDF 38KB)
Completed applications may be faxed to your Gallagher Insurance Coordinator. Once the completed application has been accepted by Gallagher, your monthly cost will be deducted from your settlement.
The program is available to Landstar Independent Contractors as referenced in this information. The Insured Person must be over age 23 to enroll in the plan.
The best time to gauge the value of your insurance is when you have a claim. Claims are administered by CMC/Gallagher Bassett Services, Inc.. When you have a claim, call CMC's toll-free line, 800-821-5401 and ask for the Occupational Accident Claims Department. A claims representative will provide prompt, courteous service.
If you need a medical claim form, an initial disability claim form, or a supplemental disability claim form, one can be printed or downloaded here:
Medical Claim Forms (choose applicable form)
- California (PDF: 32 KB)
- Florida (PDF: 32 KB)
- Illinois (PDF: 32 KB)
- New Hampshire (PDF: 32 KB)
- New Jersey (PDF: 32 KB)
- New York (PDF: 32 KB)
- Pennsylvania (PDF: 32 KB)
- Rhode Island (PDF: 32 KB)
- All other states (PDF: 32 KB)
Please read carefully
It is further understood and agreed
- Not Statutory Workers Compensation & Employers' Liability: This coverage is NOT a statutory Workers Compensation and Employers' Liability policy, and any one or more of the benefits under this policy do not necessarily equal the benefits which an individual might be eligible for under statutory Workers Compensation. The Insured Person voluntarily elects this program in lieu of Workers Compensation coverage to the extent allowed under laws of the state of his/her business domicile. To the extent such state laws require Workers compensation coverage of his/her business, such coverage will be obtained via a policy of insurance separately procured by the Insured Person of his/her business entity.
- This is not a policy of disability insurance and the coverage provided under this policy does not relieve an employer from its obligation to provide employees disability benefits coverage for non-occupational related injuries in those states that require such coverage (currently includes: New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, California and Hawaii).
- Assignment of Benefits: In the event benefits are paid from the statutory Workers Compensation and Employers' Liability Policy of Landstar or any similar policy of its affiliates ("Landstar"), or Landstar otherwise becomes liable for such benefits, the benefits which an Insured Person is entitled to under this policy will be automatically assigned to Landstar. Therefore, in such event the Insured Person hereby agrees to the immediate assignment of all benefits which he/she receives or would otherwise be payable to him/her or any third party under this program to Landstar.
- Cost and Consent to Cost Change: The Insured Person understands that the insurance cost shown may include taxes, fees and administrative expenses which he accepts and acknowledges as part of the insurance cost. The insurance underwriters reserve the right to change the rate by giving written notice to you.
- Termination: In the event the contractor's ICOA with Landstar is terminated for any reason by either party, the CPP coverage will be cancelled effective the date of the contract termination or the earliest date thereafter allowed by law. Therefore, arrangements should be made by the Insured Person to replace coverage immediately.
- Terms & Conditions: Coverage will be subject to all policy terms, conditions and exclusions as detailed in the Evidence of Insurance.
- Authorization of Settlement Deduction: You authorize Landstar to deduct and pay from your settlement checks, funds, accruals or other compensation, on a periodic basis (e.g. weekly) amounts sufficient to pay the insurance cost and hereby instruct it to forward directly to Gallagher such amounts by the 15th of each month. Your cost (as described in "Cost and Consent to Rate") will be deducted from your settlement check. If your settlement check isn't enough to cover the insurance cost to you, you must forward a check or money order made payable to Gallagher Transportation Services; Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc. (your insurance agent for your CPP program), 2345 Grand Blvd., Suite 400, Kansas City, MO 64108-2671 immediately, or the coverage will be cancelled, in accordance with policy terms and conditions.
- Effective Date: Coverage shall become effective on the date your application is accepted by Gallagher.
Evidence of Coverage
If you participate in CPP, Gallagher will forward evidence of coverage to Landstar on your behalf. If you don't participate in CPP, you are required to have on file with Landstar a certificate of insurance for statutory Workers' Compensation, or , when allowed by law, an occupational accident coverage certificate; your insurance agent should provide this information. Until Landstar's receipt of acceptable proof of coverage, your participation in CPP will continue. Otherwise, you will be in violation of your Independent Contractor Operating Agreement (ICOA). Upon receipt of proof of acceptable coverage as an alternative to CPP, you may be entitled to a refund or credit of some CPP insurance costs previously paid.
Please call the Gallagher Insurance Coordinator if you need assistance in securing the proper evidence of coverage from your agent.