Protect your farm for future generations

We help farm owners and agricultural businesses to manage and mitigate risks associated with their industry, providing tailored insurance to reflect their unique needs.

Owning and running a farm or rural estate comes with a wide range of risks, from loss of livestock to public liability claims to the damage to buildings, machinery or vehicles. Having a farm insurance policy in place can protect you financially from many of these risks and help keep your business running smoothly.

As a specialist in agricultural insurance, Gallagher understands the risks you face, from your day-to-day activities to your future plans for growth or diversification. Our approach is to get to know your business, your challenges and aspirations, in order to create a unique rural insurance package to help protect all that you have worked for.

What farming insurances does Gallagher offer?

From 100-acre+ farms to large estates, we help farm owners across the UK to protect their livelihood and keep their business moving through specialist insurance for the farming sector. We have the expertise to provide guidance and cover options for a variety of farming types including arable, horticulture, beef, dairy, pigs and sheep.

Insurance for farmers can include, but is not limited to:

Farm buildings insurance covers damage to your domestic and commercial buildings and contents from insured perils such as fire, flood and storm damage. It also covers any property you let to tenants.

Your buildings insurance should reflect the total reinstatement (rebuild) cost of your buildings to avoid underinsurance. It is important to have a buildings valuation to determine this cost, especially if you have not had one in recent years or significant alterations have been made to the property.

Our team can arrange a valuation for you through our partnership with a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) approved company.

Agricultural vehicle insurance and cover for your plant and machinery will typically provide financial protection against accidental damage, machinery breakdown, vandalism and damage/loss due to insured perils such as fire and flood. It can also include protection for hire-in plant or borrowed farm equipment.

Your farm vehicles can be combined into one convenient farm motor fleet policy, and can include your private cars, commercial and agricultural vehicles.

Should you wish, we can arrange professional engineering inspections for your farm machinery and equipment.

This type of cover helps protect livestock farmers from the risks they are exposed to, including (but not limited to):

  • Cover for Fire, Lightning, Aircraft, Malicious Damage, Impact, Escape of Oil & Water
  • Optional Cover extensions include Theft, Straying including Own Premises and Worrying
  • Wider All Risks Mortality covers, Loss of Use, Bull or Ram Insurance are also available
  • TB, Brucellosis and Foot & Mouth and wider disease covers can be specifically insured
  • International Transit Cover

Public Liability and Product Liability: This cover protects you financially if your business is held responsible for accidental injury to customers, the public or other third parties.

Employers’ Liability: If an employee suffers an injury or loss and you are held liable, this covers the costs associated with the liability claim. Even if you are a smallholder only employing friends or occasional contract workers, you are still legally required to have this cover.

Environmental Liability: This cover provides financial protection in the event you are held responsible for environmental or biodiversity damages arising from your farming activities, transportation or waste disposal.

Should the worst happen and you are unable to trade in some or all capacities, business interruption insurance can step in to help maintain the turnover of your farming business and protect your income. It can be a complicated area of insurance for farmers, especially if you have a multitude of business activities on one farm or estate.

The period of cover selected (the indemnity period) should be long enough to provide financial protection for the business during the entire period of disruption.

In essence, it involves predicting how your business would perform over the next 12-24 months, calculating the projected income and selecting a sufficient indemnity period. This is something our team can advise you on.

What other insurance products are available?

The covers you choose to include in your rural insurance policy will depend on the activities of your business and the specific risks you face. We can include a number of covers to build a farming insurance policy that is tailored to your requirements. These can include (but are not limited to):

  • Personal accident and sickness
  • Farm property in transit and goods in transit
  • Produce and deadstock
  • Uncollected milk and contamination of own milk
  • Renewable energy risks, e.g., wind turbines, solar panels and anaerobic digestion facilities

If your business is diversifying into new areas such as holiday lets, bed and breakfast accommodation, school visits or open farm days, we can arrange the appropriate cover—providing a combined insurance policy that works for you.

Why choose Gallagher for farm insurance?

Our market relationships and our extensive knowledge in the sector has enabled us to support many farms, estates, food producers and other agricultural businesses that have diversified.

We are more than a broker—we can support you through all seasons through a range of risk management services, from site audits to business continuity planning. We also have in-house claims teams to assist our clients in the reporting of agricultural claims and potential claims. Our dedicated advisors will manage the process from start to finish, to help you and your business get back on its feet.

These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.

Agriculture, Rural Estate and Farming Insurance

  • Broad product coverage for your farming business and home
  • Financial protection for your liabilities, including environmental liability
  • The expertise of a specialist agricultural insurance broker
  • Dedicated in-house claims team