Sheltering in Place During a Hurricane
If sheltering during high winds, go to a FEMA safe room, ICC 500 storm shelter, or a small, interior, windowless room or hallway on the lowest floor that is not subject to flooding. Only use a generator or other gasoline-powered machinery outdoors and away from windows.
Listen for current emergency information and instructions from your local and regional authorities. They will advise when it is safe to assess property damage. There can be many hazards after a storm from debris in water to electrical equipment. Follow the guidance of your local authorities.
Filing an Insurance Claim after a Hurricane
You may have suffered damage as a result of the hurricane. We recommend you secure your location(s) to prevent further loss and begin to sort damaged items from undamaged items. File a claim as soon as you are able and photograph or video property damage. Keep and maintain receipts from supplies being purchased for repairs to provide to your claims handler. Your claim handler will begin the claim resolution process. If you need assistance reporting your claim, please contact your Gallagher representative.
Claims contacts for home & Property
Starting a Homeowners Insurance Claim after a Hurricane
In order for a claim to be initiated and investigation to begin, the claims handler must have as much detail as possible. The following is recommended:
- Photographs and/or video of the damage are extremely helpful.
- A preliminary list of damages.
- Secure your location(s) to prevent further loss and begin to sort damaged items from the undamaged items.
Claims Insurance Process: What to Expect
Throughout the claim investigation process, you may have various coverage-related questions. Please reach out to your Gallagher representative with specific policy and claim questions. During this high volume claim reporting period, you should anticipate the following:
- Initial contact may take some time. Some insurers may use adjusters under contract, so the adjuster’s contact information may appear different than expected.
- Limited access to affected areas.
- Competition for labor and materials will be high, which may impact the timeframe and costs associated with repair and remediation.
- Working closely with your claims adjuster. If you have questions regarding the resolution process, Gallagher is here to assist and ensure you are in control of the claim progress.
Your insurance company website will contain important information about how to handle claims and manage losses. We have listed many insurance companies in the event you do not have the contact information readily available.