Vice President at Gallagher Insurance, Matt Doyle, says renters insurance protects two things: a tenant’s valuables and the tenant themselves.

If a college student gets their computer stolen from their apartment, insurance will replace it. If the apartment catches fire and damages the building, renters insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding.

Doyle suggests that students should look for policies with low deductibles, coverage for accidental damage and have liability insurance.

Taking inventory of personal belongings, writing down serial numbers, the price they paid and taking pictures is something students need to do. Having an inventory will make the claims process easier, Doyle said.

Read full article