Providing you with the appropriate insurance cover
MOT providers uphold safety standards and keep our vehicles roadworthy. But when it comes to safeguarding those businesses, things can get a bit more complicated.
MOT station insurance is a specialised package designed to protect licenced motor traders with established premises. Gallagher’s MOT station insurance has a range of options to help you find a policy that’s suitably fitted to your business. That includes cover for road risks, liability, business premises, and more.
What is MOT station insurance?
MOT station insurance provides cover for businesses who carry out MOT tests, protecting them from unexpected risks.
As a motor trader, you operate and store expensive equipment. More than likely, you drive customers’ vehicles to and from your garage regularly. But does your current policy offer protection if that equipment is stolen? Does it cover you to test drive customers’ vehicles or take them to your garage for repair?
That’s what MOT station insurance with Gallagher offers. It helps protect against day-to-day risks that standard policies may not cover.
Who needs MOT station insurance?
If you service and repair vehicles at your garage, MOT station insurance can protect your business and let you prioritise what matters—your customers.
Having MOT station insurance could provide cover for instances such as if someone has an accident on your premises, equipment is stolen or damaged, or you need to drive customers’ vehicles. Without this insurance, your business may be liable to cover fees and fines if something goes wrong.
What does MOT station insurance cover?
In its most basic form, MOT station insurance protects your customers’ vehicles while on your premises. But the policy also includes road risks insurance which covers you to drive customers’ vehicles.
There are three different levels of road risks insurance:
- Third party only — provides cover for damage to third-party vehicles, but not those you drive.
- Third party fire and theft — insures against third-party damage, as well as fire and theft of vehicles you own.
- Comprehensive — provides cover against damage to your own vehicles and third-party vehicles, whether at fault or not.
Your MOT garage insurance policy may also include:
- Garage buildings cover - Your garage is the foundation of your business. If your premises are damaged, garage buildings cover insures you up to the cost of a complete rebuild.
- Road risks cover - Insures you to drive customer vehicles and those in your possession. For example, if testing repairs to cars on the road from your garage.
- Diagnostic equipment, tools and machinery - Protects your equipment and your livelihood. This cover can be crucial if essential equipment is stolen.
- Money and key cover - Insures you against loss and theft of cash and keys held at your garage.
- Employers’ liability insurance - Protects you from employee claims relating to accidents, injuries, and damage caused while at work.
- Public liability insurance - Protects you from customer claims relating to accidents, injuries, and damage to their person or possessions on your premises.
- Business interruption cover - Cover for loss of income during periods when you cannot carry out business as usual due to an unexpected event, such as a fire or flooding.
- Engineering inspection cover - Provides access to a specialist who can assess and inspect your engineering equipment to ensure it’s safe and in good working order.
- Service indemnity insurance - Also known as product liability insurance protects your business from potentially costly damages and injuries incurred through defective or incorrectly fitted parts.
- MOT loss of licence cover - Designed specifically for MOT stations to cover you in the event you should lose your licence, subject to the conditions of your insurance policy.
- Vehicle stock cover - Keeps your stock safe. If you store vehicles on-site with the intent to sell, this cover insures them against fire and theft.
- Demonstration cover - Taking customers for a test drive? This cover insures members of the public when test driving vehicles off-site.
These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.
Get a quote today
MOT Station Insurance
- Cover available on an all-risks basis
- Comprehensive Road Risks cover
- Flexible payment options*
- Endorsed by trade associations and affinity partners
Can you reduce the cost of MOT station insurance?
Yes. Making minor adjustments could reduce your MOT station insurance costs, including:
- Adding only employees to your road risks policy.
- Installing high level security.
- Prioritising services and repairs over roadside recovery and vehicle sales.
- Maintaining high standards to avoid issues with customers and the DVSA.
- Keeping claims to a minimum.
Why choose Gallagher?
With nearly a century of insurance experience, Gallagher understands the challenges faced by the motor trade industry. We work with some of the leading industry specialists to create dedicated MOT station insurance packages to support and help protect your business.