Builders’ insurance designed around you

In a high-risk industry such as construction, securing adequate cover for your business and its activities can be vital. We can build a bespoke builders’ insurance policy to meet your unique requirements.

Whether you’re extending a property, carrying out essential maintenance or building from the ground up, running a construction project comes with challenges. Even if you’re a one-person operation or a larger outfit juggling multiple projects with a team, vehicles and machinery, it pays to have builders’ insurance to protect you against the unexpected. And that’s where Gallagher comes in. As one of the largest local insurance brokers in the UK, our team is here to help you find suitable cover. We can help to protect your business, customers, equipment and employees. Get in touch for a tailored builders’ insurance quote today.

What is builders’ insurance?

Domestic or commercial builders’ insurance should be just as important to a tradesperson or construction professional as any tool or equipment. It can be a vital safety net that helps to protect you—and your business—from hazards that you face on a daily basis and incidents waiting to happen.

At Gallagher, we source flexible builders’ insurance policies that can be as simple or comprehensive as you need. That’s because builders’ insurance can cover you for a variety of considerations, such as:

  • Damage to public property
  • Injuries to employees and members of the public
  • Theft of your tools

Insurance for building contractors and business owners is naturally different in scope, too. Builders’ merchant insurance, meanwhile, protects merchants providing stock to the industry.

Whatever the case, our team of advisers is ready and waiting to help. From self-employed builders to family-run firms and larger contractors, we’ve been a trusted partner to UK builders for decades. We can help you to get the insurance cover that is relevant for your business.

By taking the time to fully understand your business and future plans, we can provide a range of suitable options for you to consider. With your builders’ insurance policy, it’s about seeing the big picture as well as getting into the detail.

What are the different types of builders' insurance?

Business insurance for builders includes a range of covers that a builder could need. Some insurance is a ‘must-have’ for builders and contractors, whereas others will be important depending on what you are building.

By working with Gallagher, you benefit from our track record of working with builders and contractors of all shapes and sizes. We work with some of leading builders’ insurance companies and will help to identify what type and level of cover is suitable for you and your business.

Here are some of the common builders’ insurance policies which you may wish to consider:

Builders' public liability insurance

When running a building project, you are responsible for the wellbeing of anyone who visits the site, whether that is your customer or members of the public. You can also be responsible for the safety of any property owned by a third party. Public liability is therefore one of the most important types of insurance for builders and building contractors. With so many moving parts on a building site, builders’ liability insurance covers you if a third party gets injured or their property gets damaged as a result of your work.

Although not required by law, public liability insurance can often be a contractual mandatory requirement before work begins, including anything being looked after by subcontractors. Public liability insurance should be considered by all builders, regardless of whether they are a sole trader or a large enterprise, as the financial cost of something going wrong can be significant.

Builders’ professional indemnity insurance

Sometimes known as Errors & Omissions insurance, builders’ professional indemnity insurance covers the incurred costs if a customer is making a claim for inadequate advice or professional services. Builders’ indemnity insurance can include covers such as public liability, professional indemnity, employers’ liability, legal expenses, tools, and contract works.

There are many reasons why a customer may take action — it could be for a genuine mistake, omission or providing the wrong advice. Builders’ professional indemnity insurance can offer reassurance, no matter how big or small the claim is.

Contract works cover

Sometimes, things happen during building projects that are out of your control. Contract works cover (also known as builders’ risk insurance) is a specialised policy that protects against damage to buildings still under construction. It can protect against a range of natural and manmade threats, including:

  • Fire
  • High wind
  • Flooding
  • Lightning
  • Explosions
  • Theft
  • Vandalism

Comprehensive cover, which you may see referred to as builders’ all-risk insurance, protects against all these eventualities and more. It can also protect temporary buildings and hired tools and equipment.

Employers’ liability insurance

Whether you run a small business, limited company or have more than one project on the go, the law may require you to have employers’ liability insurance if you hire other people or have more than one director in a limited company. Your policy must provide cover of at least £5 million (but most insurers provide £10 million as standard) and come from an authorised builders’ insurance company.

If you are not sure if this applies to you or you want a better idea of builders’ liability insurance cost, our specialists can advise you.

Legal expenses insurance

When running a building operation with lots happening at one time, mistakes or oversights can happen. You may sign contracts with suppliers, tradespeople or an architect to deliver a range of services. You may also have to trust utility providers and local authorities to play their part.

Occasionally, disputes arise that can involve significant legal expenses and take time to resolve. Insurance can cover the legal costs incurred in the event that a customer makes a claim against you or if you make a claim against a third party. Legal expenses insurance is a type of builders’ insurance that can help to cover the cost of things such as tax investigations or employment tribunals.

Tools and equipment insurance

Builders need equipment and tools, some of which can be expensive and specialist. Tools and equipment insurance is another type of builders’ insurance policy which ensures that you do not lose out if your tools and equipment are accidentally damaged or stolen. This insurance can cover owned, leased and hired handheld and power tools, machinery and plant.

These are just a few examples of the different builders’ insurance policy types available, and some may be more relevant to you than others. This is where we can help. Our team is ready to assist you in finding the building insurance solution that reflects your specific needs.

For more information, call 0800 138 7580 or complete the online form and one of our specialists will be in touch to move things forward.

Builders’ insurance FAQs

These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.

Get a builders’ insurance quote

  • Builders’ public liability and professional indemnity insurance
  • Cover for your tools and equipment
  • Legal expenses cover
  • Advice and guidance from specialists in the industry

  • Gallagher SME Team