Protecting your new venture

Starting a new venture is an exciting but daunting process. To build a successful startup, you need to safeguard your business to reap the rewards while avoiding risks.

Suitable motor trade insurance may give you the peace of mind needed to operate with confidence. While standard policies may not cover the primary risks you face, Gallagher can create a tailored and comprehensive startup motor traders’ insurance policy. We bring different forms of cover together, so you can have wider cover for a range of risks.

What is startup motor traders’ insurance?

Startup motor traders’ insurance is cover designed for new companies in all areas of the motor trade industry, including:

First-time motor traders’ insurance can provide additional cover for various day-to-day risks, like driving customers’ vehicles, equipment damage, or employee accidents. It’s all about tailoring policies to suit your current needs. And if you expand your business further down the line, you can adjust your insurance to match your growth.

What does startup motor traders’ insurance cover?

Startup motor traders’ insurance policies vary depending on the cover you need. For instance, most traders should consider road risk insurance, public liability cover, and protection for their tools. However, the exact details of your policy are up to you — and your insurer.

At a minimum, you’ll need road risks insurance so that you’re insured to drive customers’ vehicles when working on them, especially if you offer a collection, delivery, or test-drive service.

In most cases, you can choose from three levels of road risks insurance:

  • Third-party only — insures against damage caused to third-party vehicles if at fault.
  • Third-party fire and theft — provides cover to third-party vehicles and protection against fire and theft of vehicles you own.
  • Comprehensive — provides cover for damage caused to third-party or vehicles you own, alongside added protection for windscreen, loss of keys, breakdown, and more.

Startup motor traders’ insurance policies can also include:

  • Cover for tools and equipment — in case of equipment theft that’s essential to your business.
  • Demonstration cover — ensures your vehicles for sale are insured when being test driven by members of the public.
  • Public liability — covers you against fees associated with accident, injury and defective workmanship claims from customers.

As your business goes from strength to strength, you may need to consider traders’ combined insurance, which can include:

  • Employers’ liability — like public liability, this covers claims for accidents and injuries from employees while on your premises.
  • Business premises cover — covers up to the cost of a complete rebuild if your premises are damaged.

Why choose Gallagher?

Gallagher understands the risks faced by the motor trade industry. We work with insurance specialists to ensure that your business has suitable cover — call 0800 062 2312 to get your startup motor trader insurance quote.

Startup Motor traders' policies optional cover:

  • Cover for theft of tools and equipment
  • Public liability
  • Employers' liability
  • Business Premises cover

Policy limits and exclusions may apply, please see the policy wording for full terms and conditions.

Frequently Asked Questions