Cover to suit your unique risks

Working for yourself can be both challenging and rewarding. We can help you protect your livelihood by providing a suitable insurance solution for your business and its activities.

No matter your chosen profession, if you're self-employed, a sole trader, or you work as a freelancer, you may need self-employed insurance. As one of the world's largest insurance consultancy firms, we can help protect you by providing public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, employers’ liability insurance and even self-employed income protection.

We offer self-employment insurance which can be both cost-effective and wide ranging, whether you work on your own or employ other members of staff. Our self-employed insurance can reflect your unique setup.

We understand that no two businesses are the same, which is why we have a range of self-employment insurance options for you to choose from, where you can build a single business insurance policy.

What is self-employed insurance?

Self-employed insurance provides you with a tailored protection package if you work for yourself, rather than for an employer. Cover includes self-employed liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance.

If you have one employee or more, you may be required to have employers' liability insurance, too.

Why do I need self-employment insurance?

More and more people are choosing to be self-employed for a number of reasons, including freedom and flexibility. But it's important to make sure that your business is protected - especially if you deal with members of the public, including delivery people, customers and suppliers.

Self-employment insurance is there to help protect you if a customer or member of the public gets physically harmed, or their property is damaged due to any of your business activities. Legal fees and compensation can be costly, and if you don't have self-employed insurance in place, you could be liable for absorbing all the costs.

With self-employed insurance, can be covered for legal fees, plus compensation needed to pay in the event of a claim by a customer or an employee.

What insurance do I need if I'm self-employed?

Public liability insurance

Self-employed liability insurance is an important cover for self-employed professionals to consider. It can protect you if someone is injured or the property is damaged because of your business.

Professional indemnity insurance

If your business gives advice or offers professional services to other businesses, professional indemnity insurance can be vital. It can cover you if you unintentionally give faulty or inaccurate advice that causes financial loss to a client.

Employers' liability insurance

If you have employees, contractors, casual workers or temporary staff, you're usually required by law to take out employers' liability insurance. It’s designed to cover claims from employees who have been injured or become seriously ill as a result of working for you.

These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.

Self Employed Insurance

  • Cover tailored to your occupation and business
  • Public and employers’ liability insurance
  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Specialist team can offer advice

  • Gallagher SME Team