Insurance for individuals that buy and sell vehicles

Whether you need protection against liability claims, theft of tools, or even loss of income, vehicle sales insurance endeavours to cover you in the event when something goes wrong.

At Gallagher, we offer comprehensive policies that bring together multiple levels of cover, so your business can be protected against a range of risks.

What is vehicle sales insurance?

As part of your motor trade insurance policy, vehicle sales cover provides specialised insurance for individuals that buy and sell vehicles.

As a minimum, you must have road risks insurance to work legally. However, road risks insurance only covers you to drive work-related vehicles, such as those on your forecourt.

With a road risks policy, you may not get protection against other risks, such as equipment theft or damage to your business premises — that’s what vehicle sales insurance does.

What does vehicle sales insurance cover?

At the very minimum, car sales insurance will include road risks cover.

You have three different levels of protection to choose from:

  • Third party only — covers damage to third party vehicles while driving, but no protection for your own vehicles.
  • Third party fire and theft — protects against third party damage, as well as fire and theft of vehicles you own.
  • Comprehensive — fully comprehensive cover includes protection for both you and third parties against various accidents, injuries, and damage.

Car sales insurance policies may also include the following:

  • Combined motor trade insurance — if you work from business premises, combined motor trade insurance provides extra protection for your dealership, especially for stock you store on site.
  • Liability cover — choose between public or employers’ liability cover (or both) for protection against injury and accident claims while on your premises.
  • Professional indemnity insurance — protects your business if a customer claims negligent services or stock.
  • Loss of income cover — pays you a regular income if you’re unable to work; for example, as a result of business closure due to a fire.
  • Directors’ and officers’ cover — covers fees associated with claims against directors and officers of your business; for example, negligent service.
  • Tools and equipment cover — provides cover for tools and equipment in the event of loss, theft, or damage.

These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.

Why choose Gallagher?

Gallagher offers comprehensive insurance for vehicle sales garages, with flexible policies to suit your dealership’s requirements. Our specialists help you determine the most suitable cover you need. Protect your inventory and business with Gallagher— get a quote online or call us on 0800 062 2312 to speak with a specialist.

Vehicle Sales Insurance

  • Combined motor trade insurance to cover both your premises and stock kept on site
  • Public or employers' liability cover for protection against injury and accident claims on your premises
  • Professional indemnity - protects your business in the event a customer claims negligent services or stock
  • Loss of income cover if you're unable to work; e.g. as a result of a business closure due to a fire.

Frequently Asked Questions