If the UK leaves the European Union (“EU”) on 29 March 2019 with no deal Brexit, UK motorists will need to ensure they obtain and carry a Green Card to drive in Europe.
Green cards how brexit can affect you

This may include:

  • Those driving across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border.
  • Anyone planning to take their vehicle to any EEA country e.g. a family planning a holiday to France in the Easter holidays.
  • Any freight company planning to transport goods into the EEA after 29 March.
  • Anyone travelling into Europe before but not returning until after 29 March.
  • From 28 March 2019, all commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered with the DVLA before travel to or through most EU and EEA countries and a separate Green Card will be required for these.

Drivers with a UK driving licence travelling in the EU and EEA Countries may also need to obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit).

What’s a Green Card & who needs one?

A Green card is an international certificate of insurance that’s issued by UK insurance providers. It guarantees drivers third-party motor insurance cover for driving in Europe.

Currently, UK drivers travelling to Europe with their own vehicle are not required to carry a Green Card. However, in case of a no-deal Brexit, a physical copy of the Green Card will be required for travel within Europe. An electronic copy will not suffice.

A Green Card will be needed for any motor vehicle and to all forms of motor insurance – including private, commercial, motor trade and motor fleet policies. A Green Card is required to cover the registration number of the individual vehicle, so a Green Card will be needed to cover each vehicle insured under one policy when being driven in the EEA.

Talk to us

Green cards are supplied by the insurer and can be obtained by submitting a request to us as early as possible before travelling abroad. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, those who travel without one may be in breach of the law.

Contact your usual Gallagher contact as soon as possible so we can understand your requirements and help you make the necessary arrangements in plenty of time.

This bulletin is not intended to give legal or financial advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon. It should not be regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. In preparing this bulletin we have relied on information sourced from third parties and we make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained. You should not act upon (or refrain from acting upon) information in this bulletin without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited accepts no liability for any inaccuracy, omission or mistake in this bulletin, nor will we be responsible for any loss which may be suffered as a result of any person relying on the information contained herein.