Ten tips to reduce vehicle off-road time
While supply chain problems and inflated costs are out of fleet managers’ hands, there are plenty of things that can be done to help reduce vehicle downtime.
- Regular servicing: Keep up regular servicing and maintenance to ensure sufficient vehicle health and safety. Older and/or high mileage vehicles may need more frequent safety inspections. Daily checks before a vehicle is taken out on the road can catch a potential issue before it escalates.
- Prescheduled downtime: Take a proactive approach towards servicing/MOTs and maintenance by taking advantage of forward-booking facilities offered by many garage networks. This can also help you avoid long wait times.
- Vehicle leasing: Lease vehicles on a regular renewal basis if possible to ensure timely replacement of vehicles as well as keeping vehicles in warranty.
- Simpler repair options: When purchasing new vehicles, consider models that are easier to repair and service given the current supply chain issues/parts shortages.
- Audit trails: A robust audit trail of fleet management and maintenance can help to manage vehicle safety risk as well as providing evidence in the event of a future insurance claim.
- Courtesy vehicle indemnity periods: Insure your fleet vehicles with a courtesy vehicle included in the policy, ensuring the indemnity periods provided reflect a realistic timescale.
- Temporary rentals: Use rental vehicles as reinforcements at peak business times rather than acquiring new vehicles that may be underutilised or sit idle later.
- Telematics: Human error is a factor in 95% of all road accidents.5 Encourage safer driving (and therefore wear and tear on the vehicle) through the use of driver training and telematics.
- VOR analysis: A data-driven approach can help you to understand if there is a driver that is regularly involved in accidents or a vehicle that requires higher than average repair and maintenance.
- Management of grey fleet: Give equal importance to the servicing, maintenance and repair of employee-owned vehicles driven for business use as you do to company vehicles. Where possible, follow the points above to help ensure the safety of the vehicle and driver.
Specialist fleet risk management support
Gallagher offers businesses of all sizes end-to-end fleet risk management services, including gap analysis, driver training, incident and claims analysis, and tailored fleet insurance—often with reduced premiums and/or improvements in policy terms and conditions.
If you would like to speak to our team about how we can help you reduce your overall fleet risk and control your costs, please get in touch with us on 0800 138 7538.