With an ongoing skills shortage in the sector and visibility often obscured in lower-level supply chains, it is vital to ensure the ethical management of labour.
This article explores:
- The definition of modern slavery and the ways in which workers can be coerced and controlled.
- An insight into Operation Cardinas, a police investigation which led to the prosecution of a large-scale Romanian organised crime gang exploiting hundreds of Romanian construction workers in the UK.
- What organisations can do to identify possible signs of modern slavery and prevent it from happening within their business.
- The risks of modern slavery to an organisation, both from a legal, and health and safety perspective.
- How to publish your annual modern slavery statement, following the launch of the government’s modern slavery statement registry in 2021.